You are at the start of your journey into the marvelous world of Biohacking. To give you a better insight into what that exactly means, we will start with a short history of Biohacking. Next, we will show you how to design objects in 2D and 3D and transform them into real objects with a lasercutter or 3D printer. During the lab days as a demo we will make basic lab utilities, such as tube racks. Finally, we will take a first look at electronics.
- Introduction PDF - Video
- History of BioHacking by Pieter van Boheemen PDF - Video
- Biosafety by Per Staugaard PDF - Video
- Software PDF
- Sterile Hood Design PDF - Video
This week we will build our first Open Hardware lab device: the sterile hood. The design files can be found here:
Bill of Materials
In each device repository you will find a Bill of Materials. This document lists the parts that we recommend to use to construct the device.
PLEASE NOTE: as this is the first Bill of Materials of the Academy take note of the following:
- The components on this list are the bare minimum you need to build a sterile hood and compatible with the design. Please feel free to deviate from this list and change the design accordingly. You are expected to keep track of your hacks on your own documentation site.
- The suppliers that are listed all ship to addresses in The Netherlands, and some also ship abroad. Alternative sources are listed on the Suppliers page. Whenever you find a suitable alternative, please post it in the comments at the bottom of the page.
- Check the stock level and shipping times of each component before ordering. If it takes more than two weeks, look for an alternative.
- Some suppliers, such as Farnell, only ship to businesses by default. Contact their service department to order as an individual.
This week we have a number of assignments:
- Build the sterile hood collectively with your local group.
- Discuss the what the term “BioHacking” means to you.
Additional reading and hacking
- Sterile Hoods
Go ahead and buy a sterile hood:
- Buy one on eBay
Back to BHA5 Classes